Thursday, September 9, 2010

Today I was leaving my school and I noticed the tobacco field across the road. This is the same tobacco from an earlier post. I have never seen tobacco harvested. So..I turned off the road and make a U-turn. I know I'm crazy.
It was a really beautiful day and I had my camera with me. So here I go a woman on a mission. I don't even know these people. I bet they thought "who is this goofy woman out here with a camera?" I proceeded to tell this man that I have never seen tobacco harvested and that I wanted some pictures. I said that I wasn't from here and ....blah, blah, blah. This poor man didn't even speak English. Nice smile though. How funny! Anyway.
I know this isn't a very good picture because the sun is in my face. Don't know the name of the machine. I will call it The Tobacco Picker. The one middle tire goes down the middle of the row.
The tobacco ends up in the hopper on top. A side door drops open.... and the tobacco is pushed out of the hopper and onto the back on the trailer.
An empty field.
The end.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow! Good job getting so up close! I would have been too shy. I really give you credit. That looks pretty interesting how they harvest it. I never realized there was such a machine. I wonder if that kind of machine is used in harvesting other crops as well.

Peggy said...

Hi Bonnie.I don't know much more than you. My next mission is to find some drying barns. Thanks for looking. One of my students told me today that he saw me yesterday out in the field. Too funny!